Friday, 11 January 2013

The day I bought a business


Gorgeous print from Words & Pictures, by the lovely Jen


Yep. That’s the big news folks. I am officially a small business owner.

Can you believe it? Because I can’t. It’s all so exciting and I’m still reeling. And slightly terrified.

Do you want to know the full story? I’ll start at the beginning…

Over the past few months the handsome husband and I have been talking a lot about me and work. Will I go back or won’t I? Do I want to go back or not? Is it worth it financially or just a little bit pointless? Where would I go and what would I do?

We kept coming to the same conclusions – mostly that I didn’t want to work in London again, that I definitely didn't want to work full-time, that two lots of childcare is really bloody expensive and that a little extra cash really would be rather nice right now.

Then there was also the fact that for all the times I might moan about the housework and the tantrums and bad behaviour phases, I do genuinely enjoy being at home with my children. In fact, I love it. I want to be there at the school gates and the toddler groups and the swimming lessons, clearing up paint splatters from the floor, cooking yet another Spaghetti Bolognese for 5pm, just being there for them when they need me.

And so, despite talking about it over and over, I just couldn’t quite bring myself to tart up my CV and get it out there.

Something was stopping me. And as much as that something was my children, it was also the desire to figure out exactly what career I could do that was both interesting, fulfilling and most importantly, flexible. You know, the holy grail of careers for a SAHM. I love being at home, but also doing something worthwhile, for me, would be rather nice, thankyouverymuch. 

I pondered and thought and wrote lists and spent endless hours mulling it over. And I kept coming back to the same things – yoga, natural therapies, natural birth, babies, working with people, making a difference. But I just couldn’t quite hit the nail on the new-career head.  

Then I stumbled across Lazy Daisy Birthing and finally everything clicked in to place.

Lazy Daisy Birthing is a national franchise business that offers active birth and movement based antenatal classes. The classes are yoga inspired and explore the benefits of active birth, birth breathing and relaxation. Something I whole-heartedly believe in, especially following Lila’s incredible birthing journey.

The company also offers post-natal baby massage/yoga-based sessions, designed to assist with bonding and to teach mums invaluable tips for dealing with their new bundles of joy.

The brand is strong, the philosophy fantastic and as I read through the website it just felt right.

One phone call and a few emails later and the wheels were fully in motion and so here I am, as of today, the proud new owner of the Lazy Daisy Birthing franchise for East Surrey, covering Reigate, Leatherhead, Dorking and the surrounding areas.

I start my training next week and have a lot to learn and an awful lot to do to get this little business off the ground, but I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am and how perfect this move feels for me at this stage in my life. I can work the business around my children, bring in a little extra money into our home and also do something I know I’m going to love.

It’s certainly not how I imagined the first two weeks of 2013 panning out, but I have a feeling this is going to be one incredible year.

And on that note, can I hear an O.M.G?!

ps. Jen? I hope you don't mind me using your print up there? I thought the words were very fitting. And the print is lovely! 

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! That is so exciting, you are going to be amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very exciting!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visit http://www.doctorking.co.uk/ when you have some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing! congratulations anna, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's fantastic. Good on you.
    I hope it all works out beautifully.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for taking the plunge ...running my own business is something I'd love to do but I'm in that undecided phase and have a job that's stable which makes the decision even harder! Good luck with it all it sounds like a great idea, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, WOW, and Congratulations! You are going to be fabulous!. Let me know if I can help in any way xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing news!! Well done you and all the best of luck for your new adventure (though I bet you won't need it!)
    Looking forward to hearing how it all comes on.
    Now, go celebrate! It's the weekend AND you are your own boss!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Anna, I am thrilled for you, well done lovely! That is all so exciting and inspiring to read. So much of what you have written here rings true for me also. I was umming and arring about taking a position I'd been offered to go back to the corporate world this year. At the end of last year my head was spinning with how I was going to juggle getting a child care placement for Felix (the RIGHT kind of child care), managing Angus' first year of big school and not to mention the cost of it all vs the salary I'd actually earn for 2.5 days a week working. It just wasn't right, nor viable, for me to return to the workforce right now. So I am content to stay home for another year and just potter along with my little Button Tots business.
    Good on you for choosing something you believe in and will enjoy. Can't wait to follow your journey hun.
    Oh and Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh congratulations Anna, what a fab opportunity. glad you found your little bit of magic! Ps of course I don't mind if you use my print!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. big congratulations to you anna! how exciting! I am so happy for you - and so many other mums - who are finding the courage to choose a career path that can really work around the kids, as well as be something that they REALLY enjoy. all of these mamas - and you - continue to give me the inspiration I need to keep chasing my dream job x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congraulations Anna ... you must be delighted ... I am so pleased for you ... it sounds perfect ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Anna that's so exciting! Big congratulations, I'm so happy for you. Good luck with it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like an ace plan to start 2013 with. I run my own business too, for exactly the reasons you describe - crippling childcare costs initially but then the desire to be around for my boys, it's hard work but it will be well worth it - am sending loads of luck your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!

    Seriously, wow, that's very exciting! Congratulations. Good luck with it, you're going to be amazing, I can just tell!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohooo!! Sorry taken me a while to comment - my week has been a bit mental too, though not as exciting as yours!! Very pleased for you, good luck with it all. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations - I wish I had your get up and go to do something as exciting. George starts school in September and the other half has already made noises about me working ... but I don't want to go back to what I did before so I need to gear up and find myself something. I will do it though and best of luck to you as well. It's all so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing!! Sounds like an incredible opportunity! And I think you will not only love it but be brilliant at it too! Congratulations Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't have to wait long!!
    Fabulous news - sounds like perfect timing and perfect career - yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your new line of business is very interesting, Anna. It’s really better to start now while it is not yet a popular business to be involved in. So, when this Birthing franchise booms, you already have the authority only earned through time along with a solid client base. Besides, you should only do something you know you can completely give your heart to without disregarding the lives of the people you love. You’ve made the right decision. I’m sure of that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I truly appreciate each and every one and try to reply as often as I can. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...